Sunday, June 5, 2011

Raised Paper Art



I've been seeing quite a few images of art with raised wooden words and I'm really liking it (a couple favorites here and here). BUT, I didn't really want to spend a couple hundred on art and I don't like the idea of being limited in fonts to only what I could buy at the store in pre-cut letters. Then yesterday while I was working on another project it occurred to me that if my cuts are all exactly the same (like if I cut it out with a paper punch or with the Silhouette) then I could layer the papers for the same effect. Enter the test project:



Looks like the verdict is that it definitely works. I used 5 layers of watercolor paper for the letters and 9 layers of card stock for the center star, both to about the same height. So, for future simplicity, this project style will certainly be done with watercolor paper (less layers to glue together).



Simply cut out your text/image multiple times and use a trusty glue stick to put them together. Same effect as the wooden letters, at a much cheaper price, and now I have the start of my mantel finished for July 4th.



Sharing here: HouseofHepworths

2 comments:

  1. I would love if you would link up to our Weekly Playdate party at http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/06/playdate-link-party-everyone-welcome.html

    Cheers,
    Lori
    Come & Play :: Playdate!
    www.beneaththerowantree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm DIGGIN' these crafts and your pictures are amazing!!!!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.