Monday, June 6, 2011

182 Stars



I saw a really pretty image on Pinterest of white stars all sewn up in rows that I thought would be great for Christmas or 4th of July. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to put them up when I started punching the stars out but as I laid them out it just sort of turned into an American flag. Of course, for Christmas or other holidays you could do the same thing with random colors or all white for a very pretty display.



That is a whole lot of stars, 182 to be exact (49 Blue, 63 White and 70 Red). It's a really good workout for your arms if you're using a craft punch like I did.



This will give you an idea of how far apart I was spacing them. I stuck a piece of tape on the machine to give me an idea where to pull it to.



As I finished sewing each row I taped them onto the branch so that I could adjust them all at the same time when I finished.



They aren't at all straight but it gives it more character anyway.



And below is my new mantle for the 4th of July, including the Liberty raised paper art from yesterday and the white mantle I worked on last month. There's no tutorial for the star but I just hand drew it (and redrew and redrew) on a piece of plywood until I had what I liked and then cut it out. I can't decide if it should be painted, stained or left bare. What do you think?



Sharing at Thrifty Decor Chick and
Todays Creative Blog

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I must get a sewing machine some day. So many fun projects! And I think it's perfect that they don't line up. It looks like its waving in the wind.
    As for the star, I'd paint it white. But that's just me. :)
    I'm planning to be in your neck of the woods (Bambi too) at Christmas time. Let's get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a lot of work, but the means justifies the end result! This is a perfect patriotic vignette!

    I'm linking this up as one of my favorite finds!

    Kaleigh from Lotte Lu and Brother Too

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so amazingly creative !!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.