Friday, March 27, 2009

Wordzzle

On a recent blog of note, Views from the Raven's Nest, a Wordzzle challenge is posted weekly. The basic idea is to use all 10 words provided in a short paragraph (plus mini challenge words if you can). More information can be found here. I like to write something but this will be my first shared contribution. This week's words are (partition, imagination, salvation, mirror image, green power, highway, roasting marshmallows, serial killer, autograph, cartography) with a mini challenge of (cell phone, Big Mac, panther, legendary, poets corner).



I love my little girl. It's amazing that so much wisdom and freedom could be contained in one so small. It's as if, somehow, the partition in her brain that seperates true memories from her imagination has yet to form and, for her, anything really IS possible. In the little poet's corner of her brain, the part that sees everything in a quixotic kind of way, there really are fairies in the garden, green power will be the salvation of the earth in her lifetime, butterflies live forever, Big Macs are yummy AND healthy, and mommy is always beautiful. I really hope she's right about the green power thing. Somehow she's my miniature mirror image in every photograph of my childhood (you should see the charming cell phone pictures) but she absolutely cannot be constrained to the same limitations I allow myself to be bound by. Before her stretches this immutable highway of possibilities and I really admire that (perhaps I should get the autograph of this unstoppable force while I still can?). No, she isn't focused on any one thing right now but she is only 5 after all. And anyway, you know what they say: 'Not all who wander are lost'. To which I reply: 'No, many of those who wander picked cartography for a profession'. Haha, I'm so funny! Yes, I know, this kind of corny joke is just the kind of thing to make serial killers out of the nicest folks. I'll stop now. But to be serious, when I'm feeling like I don't know what to do next with my life and I catch myself worrying too much about all of the big things, I watch her total abandon at play and focus and drive in everything she does (even something so simple as roasting marshmallows or pretending to be a panther) and she reminds me that it's all of the little things that matter. This little life force is legendary and I'm eternally grateful for the way she's touched my life.

14 comments:

  1. That's just beautiful! Welcome to wordzzles! I love your banner photo! It's everything your wordzzle describes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little girl sounds terrific, you are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post and use of the words. Your daughter sounds divine and so innocent. It's great to just watch them. Brings a smile to ones face. Makes you want to keep them a child forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the wonderful world of wordzzle. I love the way in which you captaured childhood and brought back long ago memories of my own.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you incorporated the Wordzzle words into a beautiful description of childhood! Welcome to wordzzles I hope you get as hooked on it as I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the childs world is carried on and is not boxed in by the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is beautiful Sara! it should be published in a Mother's Day issue of a magazine

    you have put into words so much of the feelings we experience thanks to our children

    welcome to wordzzle - you're a master at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is going to be hard for me to be objective here. My youngest daughter is named Sarah (yes, we chose old school spelling)

    Anyway....I was very much impressed with your wonderful description of your daughter.

    Welcome to Wordzzle

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have taken some very difficult words and used them to write a beautiful and loving description of your daughter, and reflect your heart. I hope you continue to nurture your daughter to grow outside "the box", it seems to be a rare virtue these days.

    quilldancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written!
    You certainly have caught the innocence of childhood.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely tribute to childhood with the words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has a big ahhhhh factor to it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your ability to write. You definitely have a knack for it, and wordzzle seems like the perfect outlet for some of your creativity. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.