Sunday, March 1, 2009

Books! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


Tonight I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I've seen the movie in both versions (I like the older version WAY more). It's a little surprising I've never read this book before, not only because it's good and I like the movies but also because Roald Dahl is my number 1 favorite children's author.

Among my other favorites of his books are The BFG (Big Friendly Giant), Matilda, The Witches and George's Marvelous Medicine. For those of you noticing that 3 books mentioned so far are movies, he also wrote James and the Giant Peach (a cute movie but much better book). I also own The Roald Dahl Treasury which has many of his short stories.

I like seeing what's different between each version of the movie and the book. For instance, none of the 3 have quite the same ending. No, I'm not going to spoil it here. Go read it, only 162 very quick pages and I picked it up in a used book store for only $2.50.

Finishing this book adds to another one of my goals as well. Currently I am going through a book called 501 Must Read Books and this marks the 17th book I can cross off. Books are categorized by genre (Children's, Sci Fi, Fiction, History, Memoirs, etc) and authors aren't usually mentioned twice. I've found many of my favorites in the list and read some new favorites as a result of this book. Life of Pi is a gem I discovered in this process. I highly recommend that book to anyone.

For anyone who's interested, here are the books I've finished thus far:

Life of Pi
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Cosmicomics
Little Women
Adventures of Huck Finn
Anne of Green Gables
Catcher in the Rye
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Secret Garden
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Tale of Peter Rabbit
Where The Wild Things Are
A Wrinkle in Time
The Last Unicorn
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
A Christmas Carol

1 comment:

  1. Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
    Little Women
    Adventures of Huck Finn
    Anne of Green Gables
    Catcher in the Rye
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    The Secret Garden
    Stranger in a Strange Land
    The Tale of Peter Rabbit
    Where The Wild Things Are
    A Wrinkle in Time
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    A Christmas Carol

    I've read the majority of the same ones! Little Women and The Secret Garden remain two of my faves along with To Kill A Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It's nice to know someone is reading and I appreciate and read every one.